Skyglobe For Windows 10


Skyglobe - is there a Windows Version?

Amateur astronomy equipment, techniques, info, etc.

AuthorMessage
Skyglobe - is there a Windows Version?

I recently saw it posted in this newsgroup that Skyglobe is available in
a Windows version. I currently have the DOS 3.6 Version, but I have
been unable to find any information about a Windows Version. Any help
would be much appreciated. Thanks!



Fri, 05 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT


: I recently saw it posted in this newsgroup that Skyglobe is available in
: a Windows version. I currently have the DOS 3.6 Version, but I have
: been unable to find any information about a Windows Version. Any help
: would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Yup, when I registered SkyGlobe 3.5, in return I received SkyGlobe
3.6 for DOS and Windows along with a couple of other interesting
astronomy programs and a Windows 3.1 screen saver. Quite a good
deal for $20. Did you get a ORDER.DOC file or something simular
with SG3.6?




Fri, 05 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT


> : I recently saw it posted in this newsgroup that Skyglobe is available in
> : a Windows version. I currently have the DOS 3.6 Version, but I have
> : been unable to find any information about a Windows Version. Any help
> : would be much appreciated. Thanks!

> Yup, when I registered SkyGlobe 3.5, in return I received SkyGlobe
> 3.6 for DOS and Windows along with a couple of other interesting
> astronomy programs and a Windows 3.1 screen saver. Quite a good
> deal for $20. Did you get a ORDER.DOC file or something simular
> with SG3.6?


Reorder DOC with it, but It doesn't mention a Windows version, so I'm
assuming it's fairly new. I checked out as many online areas to download
from as I could find, yet none had the Win Version. I did find a
Compuserve Email address for Skyglobe, so I'll give that a try. Thanks
for the response. .....David


Fri, 05 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT


: >
: > : I recently saw it posted in this newsgroup that Skyglobe is available in
: > : a Windows version. I currently have the DOS 3.6 Version, but I have
: > : been unable to find any information about a Windows Version. Any help
: > : would be much appreciated. Thanks!
: >

The author sent out a first attempt at a windows ages ago to registered users
who decided to buy it. It wasn't anywhere as good as SkyMap from Chris Marriot
(sorry if I spelled your name wrong!) which I also have registered.
In fact I removed SkyGlobe from my disk to save space but if you want a DOS
program SkyGlobe is good.

Pete Hayes



Sat, 06 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT

> : >
> : > : I recently saw it posted in this newsgroup that Skyglobe is available in
> : > : a Windows version. I currently have the DOS 3.6 Version, but I have
> : > : been unable to find any information about a Windows Version. Any help
> : > : would be much appreciated. Thanks!
> : >
> The author sent out a first attempt at a windows ages ago to registered users
> who decided to buy it. It wasn't anywhere as good as SkyMap from Chris Marriot
> (sorry if I spelled your name wrong!) which I also have registered.
> In fact I removed SkyGlobe from my disk to save space but if you want a DOS
> program SkyGlobe is good.
The registered dos version (3.6) works in both windows and win95. I have
used both SkyGlobe and SkyMap and some others, and the they all have
strengths and weaknesses. SkyGlobe is by far the easiest to use, and the
quickest. But it's maps are not as accurate or as pretty as SkyMap, and
SkyMap has some capabilities that SkyGlobe does not. But when I want a
quick 'heads up' on what I can see tonight, I usually reach first for
SkyGlobe. Skyglobe can also 'animate' the night sky, showing you in
seconds the passage of hours, days, months, years or centuries. If you
set it to sideral time, you can use this feature to watch the 'dance of
the planets' against the fixed stellar background. Maybe SkyMap can do
this, but I haven't figured out how.


Sat, 06 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT

>> : > : I recently saw it posted in this newsgroup that Skyglobe is available in
>> : > : a Windows version. I currently have the DOS 3.6 Version, but I have
>> : > : been unable to find any information about a Windows Version. Any help
>> : > : would be much appreciated. Thanks!
>> : >
>> The author sent out a first attempt at a windows ages ago to registered users
>> who decided to buy it. It wasn't anywhere as good as SkyMap from Chris Marriot
>> (sorry if I spelled your name wrong!) which I also have registered.
>> In fact I removed SkyGlobe from my disk to save space but if you want a DOS
>> program SkyGlobe is good.
>The registered dos version (3.6) works in both windows and win95. I have
>used both SkyGlobe and SkyMap and some others, and the they all have
>strengths and weaknesses. SkyGlobe is by far the easiest to use, and the
>quickest. But it's maps are not as accurate or as pretty as SkyMap, and
>SkyMap has some capabilities that SkyGlobe does not. But when I want a
>quick 'heads up' on what I can see tonight, I usually reach first for
>SkyGlobe. Skyglobe can also 'animate' the night sky, showing you in
>seconds the passage of hours, days, months, years or centuries. If you
>set it to sideral time, you can use this feature to watch the 'dance of
>the planets' against the fixed stellar background. Maybe SkyMap can do
>this, but I haven't figured out how.
This is good news. The only thing missing is an address so I can
order it.

http://michele.gcccd.cc.ca.us/~ljohnson/johnson.html



Sun, 07 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT


>I recently saw it posted in this newsgroup that Skyglobe is available in
>a Windows version. I currently have the DOS 3.6 Version, but I have
>been unable to find any information about a Windows Version. Any help
>would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Yes there is!

I have Skyglobe for Windows version 2 on CD-ROM.

Mark Haney seems to have gone quiet about Skyglobe recently as this CD
is marked copyright 1995.

Dave
--
********************************************

David Johnson - UK based amateur astronomer
see my monthly astronomy magazine
http://homepages.enterprise.net/davidj

********************************************



Wed, 10 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
Page 1 of 1
[ 7 post ]

1. Why not a 16 bit windows version or a Dos version

2. New Windows SkyGlobe???

3. New Windows SkyGlobe

4. New Windows SkyGlobe???

5. Skyglobe Screen-saver on Windows XP

6. SkyGlobe for Windows

7. SkyGlobe for Windows

8. New Windows SkyGlobe???

9. SkyGlobe for Windows

10. SkyGlobe for Windows

11. lastest version of skyglobe?

12. ANNOUNCEMENT: Version 1.55 of Deepsky 2000 For Windows 95/NT Availabl


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software

Happy New Year 2021! And a recall for astronomy: the 1994 SKYGLOBE DOS program (as is) is now running on Windows 10 with a simple click on the desktop icon. Reference: SkyGlobe from KlassM Software, Inc., PO BOX 1067, Ann Arbor MI 48106, USA, Mark A Haney; release SG4DOS.EXE from skyglb40.exe. It is Windows only program but will run om XP, Vista, and 7 in both 32 bit and 64 bit modes. Planetensuche is a free program collection of astronomy software (database, formula collection, simulation, bioastronomy - the genesis of life, quiz and a distance calculator).

Paul Cella had a post here about stargazing.

Skyglobe for windows 10 download

For stargazing I highly recommend the shareware program Skyglobe. It is truly shareware. If you try to send a check to the address, it comes back to you in the mail. I got my copy before there was a Web, so I didn't download it off the Web. I hope the download from here works. You can Google other sites that let you download it as well. I hear it doesn't work with Windows Vista, which is just another reason not to get Vista. We've had to create a generic icon for it on our desktop, which makes it easier to get to (without having to go to the DOS prompt).

Skyglobe For Windows 10 64

Skyglobe For Windows 10

It's hard to believe something so useful is absolutely free. Skyglobe works chiefly by keystrokes. It will come up showing the sky at the time on your computer. Hit L and choose a location near you for the most accurate picture of the sky. Hit C repeatedly to add more and more constellation lines (and eventually to make them go away). Arrow keys allow you to look around your sky. If you point your mouse at a star directly, you will see the name or number displayed in the corner of the screen.

Where I am, the bitterest cold of winter is over, and we are even occasionally having clear nights. It isn't yet light into the night, as it will be in the summer. So around about 8:30 we can sometimes see some neat things. Orion, westering a bit, still dominates the southern sky, hunting Taurus the bull. Canis Major, with Sirius brightly visible in it, lopes at his heels. Just above Canis Major, Procyon wags the tail of Canis Minor, who refuses to be left out of the hunt. And over to the east, Leo now rises, ramping straight up the sky.

Skyglobe For Windows 10 Download

I also recommend the books on the stars by H. A. Rey, best known as the creator of Curious George. The books are geared to kids, but grownups will find them useful too.